Friday, June 25, 2010

Physics for People Who Should Know Physics Already

So today I've decided to take a look at the digital textbook that the teacher who I will have next year for AP Physics loaned me. The CD case calls it Physics for Scientists and Engineers. I pondered this for a while.

Shouldn't scientists and engineers already know a great deal of physics? Do they really need this cartoon-filled e-textbook to learn the fundamentals of kinematics and electromagnetics?

Maybe what the title really means is that the textbook is geared towards students who would like to become scientists and engineers. Which would mean that it focuses on the areas of physics needed to understand engineering courses.

And, on top of that, the publisher is apparently called Kinetic Books. But this book is not even tangible! It's on a computer. I couldn't throw this "Kinetic Book" across the room. Thus, it is not kinetic.

In the end, my computer would not run the software, so I am relegated to reading a real live text book. Which is actually kinetic. Sort of.

1 comment:

  1. oh Shannon haha I love this. Just made my day

    ReplyDelete