Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"One cubic centimetre cures ten gloomy sentiments."*

I've just finished Brave New World. I really liked it - especially all the Shakespeare references. They were fun for a Shakespeare nerd like me.

...I don't really have much else to say about it, to be honest. It was very good; it wasn't nearly as scandalous as everyone makes it out to be.** Also, I love the obsession with zippers. It's very amusing to me. And here are a couple of my favorite quotes:

        "You've got to choose between happiness and what people used to call high art. We've sacrificed the high art" (150).

And,

        "God isn't compatible with machinery and scientific medicine and universal happiness. You must make your choice. Our civilization has chosen machinery and medicine and happiness" (159).

So good. Somewhat depressing, but so good.

So I went out and got several books today - On the Road, Lolita, Still Life With Woodpecker, and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. The latter two are required reading, so I'm going to be working on them next and am very excited about them.

And I will simultaneously be doing the very best I can at Ulysses. Patience is a virtue.

_____

*Huxley, Aldous. Brave New World. New York: Harper & Row, Publishers, Inc., 1932.
**Then again, I've read things like A Clockwork Orange and Miranda July's short stories, so there isn't much that shocks me.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment :]
    Before I started reading Dorian Gray, I read Brave New World.
    Isn't it a fantastic book?

    -Juliette WhereForArtThouRomeo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I absolutely loved it. I'm told if you like Brave New World, you should like Stranger in a Strange Land; have you read that? I haven't yet, and I also have yet to read 1984, which I've heard is quite similar to Brave New World as well.

    And thanks for the comment! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are a real books enthusiast...wish I have students as analytical as you! Hugsss :-)

    ReplyDelete