Hello there! It's been a while! These past few months have been crazy, which of course is no excuse for my utter disappearance, but honestly, things have been CRAZY. Now, with college applications and all that all finished up, I find myself with a little bit of free time for the remainder of my senior year of high school. Not much, mind you, but enough to come back to my humble blog. I really have missed blogging very much, and even if I can't write full reviews as frequently as before, I'd still like to start blogging again.
Today, I find myself snowed in, with some school work to do, but lots of free time for reading as well, which is quite a treat. I thought for this "I'm back!" post, I'd just brag a little bit about the book I got over the weekend.
 |
| Picture Credit Here. |
On a trip to the bookstore with a friend of mine (you know you've got good friends when they're elated to spend ridiculous amounts of time in book stores with you :P), I found
The Western Canon, by Harold Bloom. I'm quite a big fan of Harold Bloom, especially for this book. I like the fact that he has the balls to say, "I know exactly what is worth reading, here's a list, now go read." The audacity of it makes me like him. Of course,
The Western Canon is not simply a list what Bloom feels are the most influential and awesome works ever. It's also a series of essays on the authors he feels are central to the Canon (this includes Shakespeare, Chaucer, Dickens, Joyce, Beckett, Tolstoy, Kafka, and a whole slew of other greats). What I love about these essays is that I'm already citing one about Shakespeare, Joyce, and Beckett in a paper I'm writing right now. Instant essay material!
So that's lots of fun. I'll probably be talking about this more eventually once I read some more of it. For now I'm just flipping through it in awe.
For Christmas I got a lot of exciting books, both fiction and non-fiction, so I'll be writing about those soon. One that I'm particularly excited about is Blake Butler's Scorch Atlas, which is one of the most beautiful and grotesque works I've ever read. Expect something about that soon. I also recieved a subscription to Shakespeare Quarterly (score!), so I am anxiously waiting the arrival of my first issue.
So, I hope this post will suffice as a "Hey, sorry y'all, but I'm back!" sort of post, and I'm certainly looking forward to getting back into blogging.
Welcome back! This book looks amazing and I think I know what I'll be picking up next time I'm at the bookstore. Thanks for the recommendation.
ReplyDeleteBloom's book on the canon is amazing and can start you on a life time journey-glad you are back blogging and I am now a follower of your blog
ReplyDelete