
Hello to any new guests coming over from the hop! Thanks for visiting.
A little about me - I haven't been blogging for long, but I mostly review literary fiction and both new and old classics (some books I've reviewed recently include Endgame, The Crying of Lot 49, One Day in the Life if Ivan Denisovich, and As You Like It). I don't really have a formula for reviewing as lots of book bloggers do; I kind of love almost every book I review, so rating books would be a little pointless as a great many of them would receive 4s and 5s. I prefer to summarize and then muse about the book in a more casual manner.
The purpose of the Book Blogger Hop, hosted by Jennifer at Crazy for Books, is to help book bloggers to connect and to discover new book-related blogs that they haven't yet read or visited.
The question for this weekend is: "Who is your favorite new-to-you author so far this year?"
This is really difficult for me to answer, because I've been exposed to so much fantastic literature (that is totally new to me) this year. But I'll do my best.
One of my favorites is Vladimir Nabokov. He is, in fact, new to me; I've just started reading him this year. I started off reading Pale Fire in the spring and got pretty far through it before taking a break from it to focus on my school work, so I still need to finish it (that book requires a bit of patience, but it's brilliant). I also recently read Lolita, which is of course also brilliant (see my review here). I love what Nabokov does with his narrators - he makes them seem all nice and trustworthy and then shows you just how crazy they really are. If you thought this was prominent in Lolita, just wait until you read Pale Fire. That book is unreliable narration like you wouldn't believe. It's so much fun to read.
So who's your favorite "new-to-you" author?
What did you think of Crying of Lot 49? I have to say, that book was a little TOO postmodern for my taste. Really difficult to get through for me.
ReplyDeleteHopping over from The Blue Bookcase
http://www.thebluebookcase.blogspot.com
I know what you mean - it was pretty difficult for me to get through too. I liked it enough, but I agree, it gets a bit too absurd at times. Still a pretty good book though, in my opinion.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by!
Hi I am returning the hop visit and and now glad to be one of your new followers
ReplyDeleterereadinglives.blogspot.com
Mel u
hum-follow does not work for me right now so I added your blog to my google reader
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by and following!
ReplyDeleteJust stopping by to say thanks for visiting my blog! Btw, I recently read Lolita and although I found the plot disturbing, I really enjoyed Nabokov's beautiful prose. I look forward to reading more of his books.
ReplyDeleteI agree - I love Nabokov's prose and his complex symbolism and allusions as well. He's just great. :)
ReplyDeleteThought you might like this post:
ReplyDeletehttp://morganelizabethyork.blogspot.com/2010/06/respect-for-english-language.html